Author Topic: Was there ever a time??????  (Read 7713 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Was there ever a time??????
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:35:25 PM »
This is a really good question. 

Was there ever a time in which you tuned into MRN and as the episode unfolded it had a personal connection to your life?  Maybe you were going thru something at the moment and the MRN episode sort of put it all in perspective for you.  I can't remember the episode number but Secrets series would probably be a good one as an example.

Mike

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: Was there ever a time??????
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
So many times!!  The operas especially speak to me.
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »
Well, he did go to a photographic lab one time and pretty much showed my exact job when showing all the different aspects of developing film, printing the negs and processing the exposed paper.
It was fun for my kids to see exactly what Mommy did at work while they were sleeping.
I was a printer for years and worked on so much of the exact machinery they showed that day.
I even recorded it and brought it to work to show our department.
Everyone loved it.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
That is so cool, OperaLover!  We had a similar thing- my kids learned about what their dad does from the Little Tikes factory episode- my hub was so excited when he saw it, he wanted to take it to work to show his colleagues, too!  He designs baby products, but it's hard to explain design to kids- leave it to Mister Rogers to make it all clear!
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
the more Sesame Street was "entertaining", he less interest Fred (who billed himself as a "real" person in contrast to the "actors") had in the operas, for me the most precious of all his creations, in which both profundity of subject and whimsey were united, and child development, though implicit, did not coerce content) had (and, I was told, PBS) in making them accessible to children & theaters in the real real world. More and more Mr. Rogers sought to distinguish himself (and the program) from suchlike. We who asked were told that there would be no market for them, that the videos were too imperfect for translation to CD, that there was no money to produce the librettos in book form, etc. It was "what part of "No" do we not understand?" Never even a recording by the neighbors of beloved songs while Johnny Costa was alive.  For me there was always "a time", because incidents from my private life were frequently incorporated into programs (see All in the Laundry"), and because, for example, the tender intimacy that Daniel (developmentally the youngest character in the NOM) and Lady Aberlin shared, was particularly a blessing for the actress who was (is) childless.  I will reserve judgement about "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" until I can bring myself to watch it, if ever I do. Suffice it to say that Fred all but promised Chuck Aber (the only actor he ever permitted to address the camera directly, on a program when Fred himself left his television house for a few moments - who would have been PERFECT to carry on!) that he would succeed him.  But Fred, an only child for 11 years before his adopted sister arrived - ultimately could not carry through, let go.  We actors had so hoped that as we grew older and new people (young & old) entered the television reality and the NOM, that the treasure store of music and themes could continue.  Several of our puppeteers (& those who voiced them) would have been capable of the voices - we had been marinated in those creatures, some of us for 40 years) - I can even do a credible Kind Friday! - but it was "No." Not that any of us were consulted.  Appropriate our best ideas? Yes. Let us have any input in the future? No. It is significant that the new outfit is called The Fred Rogers Company, rather than Family Communications. I am hopeful that there will be excellent writers involved, and that some of the actors, who were not so misguided as to stand up for themselves, will be employed for the voice-overs. But cartoon versions of Daniel - next generation? - is antithetical to everything we created. Unlike any other program, we made a distinction between reality and make-believe. To have a cartoon Daniel going, perhaps, into a cartoon Neighborhood of Make-Believe will cost the suits and the Company less money.  Perhaps they have created the very kind of program that the young raised-on-cartoons numbers-crunchers of PBS would find "hot". But we were all about the precious nature of human beings, young and old.  Audrey Roth (an unsung gem of wit & wisdom, also an artist) is still alive, and she doesn't get invited to the very few personal appearances that Mr. McFeeley invites his fellow characters to. You may say this is sour grapes. But I would not have given so many years of my life to the the vision we shared, had it ever occurred to me that it could be reduced to a visual coloring book, unimaginatively drawn, and all the colors inside the lines.  this is the kind of direct communication we were prevented from having with you, dear viewers. Maybe you think it is untoward of Lady Aberlin.....not sweet enough.....but thank you for listening.  ugga-mugga

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:30:59 PM »
the more Sesame Street was "entertaining", he less interest Fred (who billed himself as a "real" person in contrast to the "actors") had in the operas, for me the most precious of all his creations, in which both profundity of subject and whimsey were united, and child development, though implicit, did not coerce content) had (and, I was told, PBS) in making them accessible to children & theaters in the real real world. More and more Mr. Rogers sought to distinguish himself (and the program) from suchlike. We who asked were told that there would be no market for them, that the videos were too imperfect for translation to CD, that there was no money to produce the librettos in book form, etc. It was "what part of "No" do we not understand?" Never even a recording by the neighbors of beloved songs while Johnny Costa was alive.  For me there was always "a time", because incidents from my private life were frequently incorporated into programs (see All in the Laundry"), and because, for example, the tender intimacy that Daniel (developmentally the youngest character in the NOM) and Lady Aberlin shared, was particularly a blessing for the actress who was (is) childless.  I will reserve judgement about "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" until I can bring myself to watch it, if ever I do. Suffice it to say that Fred all but promised Chuck Aber (the only actor he ever permitted to address the camera directly, on a program when Fred himself left his television house for a few moments - who would have been PERFECT to carry on!) that he would succeed him.  But Fred, an only child for 11 years before his adopted sister arrived - ultimately could not carry through, let go.  We actors had so hoped that as we grew older and new people (young & old) entered the television reality and the NOM, that the treasure store of music and themes could continue.  Several of our puppeteers (& those who voiced them) would have been capable of the voices - we had been marinated in those creatures, some of us for 40 years) - I can even do a credible Kind Friday! - but it was "No." Not that any of us were consulted.  Appropriate our best ideas? Yes. Let us have any input in the future? No. It is significant that the new outfit is called The Fred Rogers Company, rather than Family Communications. I am hopeful that there will be excellent writers involved, and that some of the actors, who were not so misguided as to stand up for themselves, will be employed for the voice-overs. But cartoon versions of Daniel - next generation? - is antithetical to everything we created. Unlike any other program, we made a distinction between reality and make-believe. To have a cartoon Daniel going, perhaps, into a cartoon Neighborhood of Make-Believe will cost the suits and the Company less money.  Perhaps they have created the very kind of program that the young raised-on-cartoons numbers-crunchers of PBS would find "hot". But we were all about the precious nature of human beings, young and old.  Audrey Roth (an unsung gem of wit & wisdom, also an artist) is still alive, and she doesn't get invited to the very few personal appearances that Mr. McFeeley invites his fellow characters to. You may say this is sour grapes. But I would not have given so many years of my life to the the vision we shared, had it ever occurred to me that it could be reduced to a visual coloring book, unimaginatively drawn, and all the colors inside the lines.[/u]  this is the kind of direct communication we were prevented from having with you, dear viewers. Maybe you think it is untoward of Lady Aberlin.....not sweet enough.....but thank you for listening.  ugga-mugga

Which brings me a couple idea that I think is good, yet a huge part of me feel others think it might be beyond ridiculous, stupid, and/or just plain impossible.  I would like to do a convention or some sort of reunion dinner.  Bring all the surviving cast and crew, who work their hind ends off to "make everyday a special day". 

The second dumb idea I have is doing a documentary on the people behind the show.  My title is called "It Takes People...."

To all the cast and crew I say to you, Fred is the face, mind and heart, you are the souls, and backbone which made Fred's well oiled Neighborhood machine tick.  And from what you say, bka, there are people who deserve better than just be known as "hired help".

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
Betty, I must say your points are very well taken. One of the best things I remembered about the earlier shows is that it was a period when creativity was well executed by everyone involved. I'd always thought of the program as a Neighborhood of Neighbors that lived nearby Fred. In the later programs, though, it wal all about introducing celebrities or people outside of the Neighborhood. And I actually prefered the idea of visiting Betty's theater, the Browns Marrionette Theater or Clemmons Studio. It waa fun to see the different places and see some of the creativity that was done, especially at Betty's Theater or at Elsie Neal's place!

I can't say much of the new programs that are being produced, but I'd have prefered, perhaps, the same pattern with the reality opening and closing segments with perhaos Mr. McFeely or Neighbor Aber. It would have worked with a telescope going into the NOM even if that segment had been in animated format. I think my generation might desire that more, because we're more familiar with that kind of pattern.

Change is hard, as King Friday observed the first week of MRN. But, at the same time, we know that todays children are more adjusted to new things that seem so unusual to us older people. What's most important to me is that children today can be offered the same opportunities of understanding that there are constructive ways to deal with the important issues children deal with in thier lives.

We don't need to approve of how the messages that Fred Rogers has lovingly shared with us are told to the next generation. But, what's more important is that the messages remain faithful to his philosophy. I have faith that FCI wants that to occur, too. We'll just have to wait and see and hope that we can appreciate the new series.

Betty, if you ever get in contact with the remaining Neighbors, just let them know that there are many people who are greatful for the wonderful programs that were done. ACE was fun! I evwn remember her workplace from the 1970's! I'm just verey greatful to have been a part of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. I even remember the time you sat and talked to us while Fred had to do a chore (this was way back!).  Toot Toot dear!

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »
toot-toot, Jazzman.  I've been sorting through old papers, and have come across some of the personal correspondence Fred & I had over the years. I have been trying to understand where to place these artifacts. Haven't begun to make inquiries yet. They would need to be somewhere where the fans could have access to them, a place not controlled by or accessible for censoring by the Company. The Fred Rogers Company. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
Betty, I know that correspondence is being archived at the Fred Rogers Center. I was able to obtain a copy of the first letter I wrote to Fred in 1980. They may be able to answer your inquiry. But, bere in mind that this is a work in progress. And they may npt be able to help you right away.

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
I wonder if Mister Rogers ever had talked about bullying, or made up a story in the Neighborhood of Make Believe about someone being bullied. I read an article about a girl caught in the middle of a feud, and was bullied on Facebook. She was only 9 years old, and now she's dead. So I wonder what he would say about something like this.
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

Lady_Elaine

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 06:25:22 PM »
I wonder if Mister Rogers ever had talked about bullying, or made up a story in the Neighborhood of Make Believe about someone being bullied. I read an article about a girl caught in the middle of a feud, and was bullied on Facebook. She was only 9 years old, and now she's dead. So I wonder what he would say about something like this.

I am sure Mr. Rogers would have addressed bullying head on, if he didn't already during his show's long run. Actually, throughout the series, there was always an strong message of self-worth, and letting everyone know that we are all unique and special in our own ways. Many times, Lady Elaine would do naughty things and act out, whether with her boomerang or lashing out because she felt insecure or mad inside. This could be interpreted as a form of bullying..However, she was more an adult puppet...I can't recall if any of the schoolchildren such as Anna, Prince Tuesday, or Daniel Tiger ever dealt with a bullying storyline...Mr. Rogers was so ahead of his time in so many ways, by making everyone feel liked and showing that feelings should be talked about. Most everyone has been bullied in some form or another growing up, including me, and it is definately no fun. I wish Mr. Rogers' steady, kind message of tolerance and acceptance was still on public television for today's kids, many of whom sorely need it!!

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »
Though I know people can get bullied at any age, it seems to me to be a problem that kids deal with in grade school, perhaps past the age of Fred's intended audience. I do think that his all consuming message of kindness was probably better than any of the anti bullying messages today. The problem with the anti bullying stuff today is that it's more aimed at urging the victims to persevere, the onlookers to step in and stop it, but there's not much you can say to the bully in a PSA. No bully is going to change their lifestyle because a celebrity did an anti bullying PSA. The lessons Fred taught hopefully taught kids to value and treat everyone they meet with kindness, maybe kids who otherwise wouldn't have learned that.

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 02:58:54 AM »
This might be a bit of a tangent, but your original question made me think of this:

My daughter was somewhere between 2 and 3 and we were potty training her. It wasn't going horribly, but it wasn't a breeze either. My wife and I spent a lot of time just trying to get her to sit on the potty and "try". There was a lot of trying, with not a lot of result, which often meant that my daughter was crying a lot, out of frustration that we kept making her try. I remember that she was tring once, and probably to keep her from crying I was talking, trying to engage her, and I started singing "I'm proud of You" from MRN. I was just busying myself around the bathroom, not looking at her or anything, but as I sang, she interrupted me, looked up and said "Daddy, I love you", and I totally stopped and thought "That's the very first time that she's ever said that". She might have repeated the sentiment when we said it before, but this was the first time she had said it on her own and it was an amazing moment, to  get such a heartfelt direct sentiment from your child, and to realize how direct and honest that communication can be. So often we talk and talk to each other without really communicating, and I don't know if she really got the relevance of the song or if she just appreciated that I was trying to keep her calm, but I know that Fred's song was instrumental in getting that sweet sentiment from her.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 06:55:21 AM »
Eric, that is so sweet.  :)  That brought tears to my eyes this morning!!

The words and songs of Mister Roger's neighborhood can help us in some incredible ways!
- Fred Rogers