Author Topic: Assasination episode  (Read 86 times)

picturepicture89

• New to the Neighborhood
Assasination episode
« on: February 10, 2019, 03:19:02 PM »
I’m really surprised how quickly they were able to put that episode together since the assassination of John Kennedy was 2 days prior. But I like the symbolism of blowing up the balloon and letting the air out. One question, how did they put that episode together in 2 days? There would have to be a script, lighting, camera blocking ... and it was live. I doubt they would dare do such an episode nowadays. Fred had a lot of guts.

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Assasination episode
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »
Think you're wrong about not doing such an episode now.

He did a similar episode 13 years later.

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
Fred wrote the script overnight and they videotaped it the next day. Then it was probably aired the following day. So It's possible to do a production in 2 days time.

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:32:57 PM »
I'm not sure if it was aired live or recorded. I'll have to double check that. I think it was recorded before it aired, or at least part of it was, since Mr Rogers voiced the puppets.

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:31:34 AM »
I can now confirm that the program was indeed recorded before aired. So the program was not shown live at all.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:49:33 AM »
I think Betty said that she and Fred stayed up late at night writing and recording that episode.  I saw it a few years ago at the Paley Center in New York City.