Author Topic: Trolley birthday party!  (Read 10287 times)

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
Trolley birthday party!
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »
My two year old turns three on Saturday and has asked for a Trolley birthday party.  :)  So sweet.  I can't wait!  I have a few ideas, but I thought I would put it out there and see if anyone has any creative thoughts for his special day!
So far, I am going to put a little trolley on his cake, and I bought him the trolley tote bag from the FCI store as the gift bag for his present, and the You're Growing CD. . .yeah, that's pretty much it.  :)  Throw 'em out there if you have any ideas!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:31:54 AM by TL »
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Trolley birthday party!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
I turn 29 this coming Sunday myself so your son and I almost have the same birthday. 

You could sing the Fred Rogers version of the Birthday song.

You could plan it as a surprise.  My mom did something rather unique when I was little.  She drew the characters from Sesame Street on poster board and had the whole dining room decorated with Sesame Street stuff.  She kept me out of the dining room until it was time for the party.  Then it was SURPRISE.  This was in 1983.  You might be able to take a picture of the trolley and have it blown up.  You could have him watch Henritta's Birthday episode and or Granddad for Daniel. 

Mike 

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
I agree that singing the Fred Rogers version of Happy Birthday would be a great thing for you to incorporate into the celebration.
We sang it in our family for years when my older kids were small.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
I made a few MRN dot-to-dots awhile back. I'll see about getting the trolley one in a format I can post on the message board if you're interested.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »
Great ideas, everyone!!  Thanks so much!
Mike, your mom's birthday for you when you were small sounds so special.  I love that idea.  Maybe I will print some pictures to color from the MRN website on pbs kids. . .my freehand skills are not that great :)  I probably couldn't draw a Daniel Tiger that looked any different than a Henrietta Pussycat, if you know what I mean.
Now, I have never seen a Granddad for Daniel- but my little birthday boy is named Daniel so maybe I should check it out!  Is it birthday themed?   And I do love the birthday song. . .honestly, it is so much better and more meaningful than the regular old "Happy Birthday". 
And, Paul, Trolley dot-to-dots would be fantastic, I am sure others would be interested in them, too, if you found them and had time to scan and post!
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:04:19 PM »
If it's an activity you're looking for, these might come in handy.

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/misc/other/pbs_clrpgs/index.html

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
I think there is or at least there used to be an app on PBS where you could "paint" coloring pages and print them out.
That would be a nice way to make a banner of colored pictures.

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
For my son's 2nd and 3rd birthdays, he wanted a Trolley cake.  So we took a picture of the Trolley to our grocery store bakery, and the baker decorated the cake.  She did a great job!  The Trolley was made of icing. Instead of putting "Neighborhood Trolley" in its usual spot, she put my son's name.
We've also done this with a big chocolate chip cookie. A talented cake designer can frost any design.

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
Great ideas, everyone!!  Thanks so much!
Mike, your mom's birthday for you when you were small sounds so special.  I love that idea.  Maybe I will print some pictures to color from the MRN website on pbs kids. . .my freehand skills are not that great :)  I probably couldn't draw a Daniel Tiger that looked any different than a Henrietta Pussycat, if you know what I mean.
Now, I have never seen a Granddad for Daniel- but my little birthday boy is named Daniel so maybe I should check it out!  Is it birthday themed?   And I do love the birthday song. . .honestly, it is so much better and more meaningful than the regular old "Happy Birthday". 
And, Paul, Trolley dot-to-dots would be fantastic, I am sure others would be interested in them, too, if you found them and had time to scan and post!

Yes it was special.  Unfortunately, I don't remember much about it but I have seen the pictures.  My Mom is an artist and she drew Cookie Monster, Bert and Ernie and Big Bird.  A Granddad for Daniel is a really great opera.  It's my favorite opera out of all of them.  Trust me, it has trolley written all over it. 

Mike

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »
Here's the trolley dot-to-dot. It's actually one of the more complicated ones.

I made it into a digital format so you can actually read the numbers.
I'll see if I can find some of the others...

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for the fantastic ideas!  I am getting excited about Saturday. . .
:)
- Fred Rogers

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
Birthday prep in full swing!  I'll try to post a few pics after.  Thanks again for all of the ideas.  What a great community of people.
- Fred Rogers