Author Topic: Anything archived about when they taped somewhere on location?  (Read 799 times)

picturepicture89

• New to the Neighborhood
I wish I could read articles about when the Fred Rogers company taped on location and how excited the kids were. Like when he and Mr. McFeely went bowling, or when they were on the bus ride around the neighborhood or when he went to the supermarket. Pretty sure they had to close off the places for a couple days because of taping, and they could only allow a certain number of people/extras there. Because obviously if people knew Mr. Rogers was going to be somewhere, it would be mobbed.

Which bowling alley did they go to? Somewhere in Pittsburgh I assume? I also never knew they had "miniature" bowling with smaller balls and smaller pins. Interesting!

I love the one with the bus ride. Fred and Mr. Mcfeely can make any activity so much fun! Bored? Just get on a bus and take a ride around the neighborhood and observe all the people wearing hats. I'll have to do that sometime. There's a bus stop right by my apartment.

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: Anything archived about when they taped somewhere on location?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
The location shots were moist likely not done during the summer. Fred spent most of the summers writing the scripts fpr the shows. Pre-production is always location shooting and then it's production time in the studio, followed by the editiing during post production. I would estimate each production period to be about 2-3 months. The actual studio time was one week for the Neighborhood of Make-Beileve and one week for the house segments. Remember that studio time is expensive and it's PBS.

picturepicture89

• New to the Neighborhood
Re: Anything archived about when they taped somewhere on location?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 07:22:54 AM »
I'm guessing then they did most on-location shoots towards the end of summer then.

I'd love to read about when they went to the bowling alley, if any articles exist somewhere about the taping. :