Author Topic: Here it comes!  (Read 41218 times)

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Here it comes!
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
Fred was rich from childhood. And beyond frugal. He made it a point of pride, at first, not to market to parents & children. Now they market, but whether they make any money I do not know. actors worked for minimum all the years, never a bonus. The only cast party we ever had was organized by cast members, and strongly disapproved of. I forget how much money the Fred Rogers Center at St. Vincent's cost. Or the sculpture.....I don't think we realized what a one-man show it was. And in this too unlike Sesame Street, written by many writers, with a bigger budget for every conceivable thing.

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2011, 09:28:47 PM »
Wow, it truly was a labor of love for the cast members.
And something none of you could quit having "stumbled into somebody else's mission."
I feel bad though, thinking of how the one single cast party was completely unsanctioned, not condoned, even strongly disapproved.
How sad and lonely.
I think in this case,  humility went too far, having a cost far greater on others than it should have.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »
Disapproved of?  In what way?

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
that we had somehow taken an initiative, we were not allowed to take, had invited those (including Josey Cary) we thought should be included, rather than asking whether it was o.k. to have such a gathering, nemmind running the guest list by Fred. I think they didn't want to get the bill, and as I recall they didn't. The very rich are not like you and me.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2011, 06:17:09 AM »
That's a bit frustrating.  There's a time for work and a time for play for cryin out loud.  Were the performers contracted?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:33:33 PM by Degeneration X The Owl »

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »
The very rich are not like you and me.

It's funny, but it's true...

NeighborLaura

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
I can hardly wait to see this beautiful new take on Fred's world. I hope it is not dummed down like many preschool shows are today. I hope it is genuine and gentle and brilliant. I also thoroughly hope they make playsets and plush to go with the show. Puppets and figures of the characters are also important for children to explore the ideas of the show with and learn through play. Fred is one of my heroes and this show is such a tribute to his legacy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:04:30 AM by NeighborLaura »