Author Topic: Here it comes!  (Read 41335 times)

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Here it comes!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 04:19:22 AM »
This is, what I would consider right now, the official website for DTN.  

http://www.9story.com/site/showDaniels.php

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:21:40 AM by Degeneration X The Owl »

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »
VERY cute and as a matter of fact, much cuter than I expected it to be!
Quite pleased.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »
Eric, I totally agree with what you said. . .
"The sad part is just the fanboy in me who knows that in a few years, kids will know these characters more from this new show than from the old, but of course realistically the old show was disappearing and there was a good chance of not knowing the characters at all."
Of course, my kids love the Neighborhood as much as I did, but I had to seek it out for them.   This show will keep the message fresh and reach a broader audience.  Obviously, I am really hoping that this show also encourages more people to seek out the original Neighborhood and PBS stations to keep it alive for longer. 'Cuz I sure do love it!!!
Also, can I add that I am also hoping there will be some more "merch" coming out as the new show gains popularity!!!  It would be so cool to see a trolley at Target :)
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »
It will be interesting to see how they handle the parents (Mom and Dad) and grandparents angle to the program.  Whether they just get mentioned who the parents are of these siblings or whether they will recreate them into older creatures.

You know if they wanted to - you could tie in segments of MRN into this.  Suppose Daniel Striped Tiger is talking to Daniel about how when he was little he wondered if he was a mistake and they could show the exchange between Betty Aberlin/Daniel.  

I find it very interesting that the show is being developed in Toronto much like how MRN was created.  I wonder if that was by choice or it was the only way.  I also wonder since it is being developed in Canada if it will have elements from Mr. Dressup as well.  

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 10:13:15 AM »
I think it's safe to assume that the Canadian connection here has absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Dressup or the early years of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. The fact that 9 Story is a Toronto-based company is mere coincidence.

One thing that adult fans of Mister Rogers Neighborhood (myself included) need to be careful of is wishing for a recreation of the show that we all grew to love. In my opinion, for a new program to succeed, it needs to be a separate entity in itself. You have to remember that Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is a show that is no longer on the air in most areas for a variety of reason. If the Neighborhood had run it's course, a recreation of that show wouldn't do much for attracting an audience of today's children. By using clips of the old show or trying to recreate it in some fashion would be counterproductive as this would simply be reinventing a program that has essentially been deemed "old and dated."

I said it before and I'll say it again -- I think the Fred Rogers Company has hit the nail on the head here by creating an entirely new show with (mostly) new characters. They're carrying the message and legacy of Fred Rogers on in a way that reaches today's kids (remember, the kids are the target audience).

To me, the ultimate goal should not be to keep the Neighborhood program alive -- no show lasts forever. Instead, the goal should be to keep Fred Rogers' legacy alive for future generations of children so they can learn from his message as we did.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 10:18:13 AM »

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 10:58:51 AM »
It will be interesting to see who gets selected to cast the sequences recorded in Pittsburgh. 

Mike

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »
If Fred's wife thinks they have something then I can't wait to see it.

I know David Newel agrees with producing it and all if it's from FRC, but it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on it.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 12:59:11 PM »
TL, I totally agree with what you said here. . .
To me, the ultimate goal should not be to keep the Neighborhood program alive -- no show lasts forever. Instead, the goal should be to keep Fred Rogers' legacy alive for future generations of children so they can learn from his message as we did.
Well said.
I think it is just great, and I totally trust the Fred Rogers Company has a complete grasp on this and is working hard to create a fresh way to bring the message to a new generation without losing any part of the simple, genuine nature of it all.
As much as I love the original program, I know it is getting a little dated to appeal to everyone. Although Fred's timeless message and beautiful spirit still come through, when my kids start tossing around terms like "film library" and "tape recorder" that they pick up from the show, the reality sets in that times have changed a bit. :)  Nothing can ever replace Fred Rogers looking right in the camera and telling a child they are special. . .and I am glad they are not trying to do that.  Thanks to Amazon, Youtube, and select awesome PBS stations, we can all still experience the original show, and maybe even more people will find it once they see DTN!
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
I agree with what you said Tim- I'm all for the direction that they are going, provided that it is done well. The minor palpatations that arise when thinking of the characters and MRN entities evolving without Fred would be huge if they were to simply repackage old footage or create MRN with a new host. The balance that they seem to have struck sounds as perfect as possible. My hopes for this new show:

-That Fred Rogers songs reach a new generation
-That there are some genuine Wow moments with the characters- times when the topics addressed and the raw emotion with which they are handled remind you how special the show is (ie: Daniels's "mistake" conversation with Betty Aberlin)
-That we finally see great merchandise not only of the characters but of the Trolley, the Castle, the Clock etc...and that they more or less look like they did in the original show.

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
My hopes for this new show:

-That there are some genuine Wow moments with the characters- times when the topics addressed and the raw emotion with which they are handled remind you how special the show is (ie: Daniels's "mistake" conversation with Betty Aberlin)
-That we finally see great merchandise not only of the characters but of the Trolley, the Castle, the Clock etc...and that they more or less look like they did in the original show.

Eric, ditto!!!  I didn't even think of the songs when I first saw this great news.  What a great point!  Oh, how I hope that the beautiful songs of Fred Rogers reach more children through this show!  Not a day goes by in my house that we don't sing one or two. . .or more. . .now maybe more children will know them!

TL, maybe now they will have a NOM playset!! :)
- Fred Rogers

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 02:58:33 PM »
My hopes for this new show:

Eric, ditto!!!  I didn't even think of the songs when I first saw this great news.  What a great point!  Oh, how I hope that the beautiful songs of Fred Rogers reach more children through this show!  Not a day goes by in my house that we don't sing one or two. . .or more. . .now maybe more children will know them!

TL, maybe now they will have a NOM playset!! :)

If it's incentive for PBS pledges I see that, but going straight up Walmart and such, I highly doubt it.  FRC is huge on creative play advocacy.  Especially when Fred was alive.  Part of his legacy was not to sell out or as Fred would say "hucksters".

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
I'd love for Josh Selig to have a hand in this show.
His Little Airplane Productions produced Oobi which I thought Fred Rogers would have loved.
Just a fair amount of quality-produced merchandise would be wonderful.
We already know that FCI is not entirely opposed to some merchandising because they do still sell mugs, t-shirts, shoelaces, etc
and have in past produced some nice puppets and other toys.

I also hope that this show incorporates wonderful music either in the background or prominently in the foreground.
It would be nice for a new generation of children to associate Trolley's jingles and other Mister Rogersisms into their life.
There are many good angles for this to go.

I'd not really like the old shows to be altered at all because sometimes when that happens, the original content is lost forever thought it would be nice to have a very tangible influence from the original show an inherent part of the new one.

When Sonny and Cher and Carol Burnett were repackaged a few decades ago, it's like the original hour shows were never to be seen again.
They are cut, hodge-podged and incomplete.
Same thing happened to Night Gallery.
Editing chopped them up so poorly, any reruns of it are nearly unwatchable.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:53:14 PM by OperaLover »

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
I'd love for Josh Selig to have a hand in this show.
His Little Airplane Productions produced Oobi which I thought Fred Rogers would have loved.
Just a fair amount of quality-produced merchandise would be wonderful.
We already know that FCI is not entirely opposed to some merchandising because they do still sell mugs, t-shirts, shoelaces, etc
and have in past produced some nice puppets and other toys.

I also hope that this show incorporates wonderful music either in the background or prominently in the foreground.
It would be nice for a new generation of children to associate Trolley's jingles and other Mister Rogersisms into their life.
There are many good angles for this to go.

I'd not really like the old shows to be altered at all because sometimes when that happens, the original content is lost forever thought it would be nice to have a very tangible influence from the original show an inherent part of the new one.

When Sonny and Cher and Carol Burnett were repackaged a few decades ago, it's like the original hour shows were never to be seen again.
They are cut, hodge-podged and incomplete.
Same thing happened to Night Gallery.
Editing chopped them up so poorly, any reruns of it are nearly unwatchable.

Look at it as Star Trek TNG.  And Fred is Gene Roddenberry.

Lawrence Martin

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
This is going to be a great program I wonder how I missed seeing  Prince Tuesday grow up and have a Kid when did that Happened boy in ten years you miss out on everything of course any thing is possible in make-believe will have to see how the out come of this program is the things to be a part of will be the neighborhood songs it looks like most of the neighborhood is there makes me wonder if Ms Cow will be a part of this new program
your neighbor
Lawrence
Neighbor Lawrence L Martin :)