Author Topic: "It's You I Like" Special & Meeting David Newell  (Read 1548 times)

KSiteTV

• New to the Neighborhood
"It's You I Like" Special & Meeting David Newell
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:10:15 AM »
I write about TV for my job, and I attended the recent PBS portion of the Television Critics Association press tour and had some things to share.

First off, "It's You I Like" airs in March as part of this year's PBS pledge drive. Also tying in for that week is a special episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood about the death of a goldfish which will air alongside episode 1101 (I think it's 1101) where Mister Rogers goes through the same thing.

I'm sure the main part of this site has the details, but there are people including John Lithgow and Sarah Silverman who are interviewed about their love of Mister Rogers. Also featured is Nicholas Ma, son of Yo-Yo Ma who made two appearances on the show. Sadly (and I asked!) Francois Clemmons and Betty Aberlin are NOT interviewed for the special, though they did try to get Clemmons and couldn't get the scheduling to work. Joe Negri is interviewed. (At l They are both featured in clips. I've watched the special and it's a good "Best Of" sticking to the Neighborhood and not a history of Fred Rogers' other activities as the Mister Rogers Movie might.

There's also a really clever introduction of Mister Rogers singing "It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood" year to year, starting in the very early times and moving to later in the run. Michael Keaton hosts the program, and there ARE clips of the Zucchini brothers.

The other highlight of the press tour, though, was meeting David Newell. He could tell how excited I was because more than once he offered to take a photo with me, which sadly is a press tour no-no because I really wanted one. What an amazing and kind man he is. They say to "never meet your heroes" but this was definitely a situation where I was not disappointed. I did a short interview with Newell at the event that I'll post on my website; I may, however, see if I can do a longer one. I guess I should not have been surprised, though I was somewhat, that someone who has probably been mobbed by children and adult children for decades would have the patience to talk to someone clearly geeking out like I was.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: "It's You I Like" Special & Meeting David Newell
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »
I'm guessing that they chose not to invite Betty Aberlin.

What about Chuck Aber and Maggie Stewart?  I assume that they are still alive.

Are David, Joe, Betty, Francois, Chuck, and Maggie the last remaining MRN cast members?

KSiteTV

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:13:32 AM »
No Chuck Aber or Maggie Stewart, sadly.

Quinn

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
It's unfortunate that all of the remaining cast members are not included. I asked Betty, a few weeks ago, on Twitter if she was involved with the special. Not only was the answer no, but she seemed unaware of the show, which makes me wonder if an invitation was even extended. I'm saddened to think that could be the case. She was an important part of the show.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
Is this an event that airs live?  Or is it taped, and able to be edited in case Betty said something critical of Fred?

I'm surprised that Chuck and Maggie weren't invited.  I've never heard them being critical of Fred.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 02:04:15 AM »
When does this air?

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »
The program will air on March 6th. at 8 pm. But, check your local station as well.

ExaminerTofty

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 10:31:54 PM »
For the record, though, the week of Daniel Tiger / Mister Rogers pairings is next week. The goldfish episodes air on Monday the 26th and the rest of the week will also feature installments of the two shows paired together.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
Like I said in another thread, I'm surprised that the MRN and DTN death of a goldfish episodes are airing on Feb. 26 rather than Feb. 27.

loverinthesnow

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 03:03:05 AM »
Betty not being asked for an interview or even being told something was made for Fred Rogers is a shame. It's a bit sad that Betty has become so disillusioned by her time being on the show. She was such an integral part of it. I'd say if Fred was the brains behind the operation Betty would be the heart. Fred tied me to the "real world" while Betty tied me to the NoMB. It's disappointing knowing that they probably want nothing to do with her these days because of how critical she can be (especially during the Twitch marathon of Mister Rogers) with Fred and the show.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »
What did Betty say during the Twitch Marathon?  Is that available anywhere?

It seems that Chuck Aber and Maggie Stewart were not invited either (and I assume both are alive), and I never heard them being critical of MRN.