Author Topic: Trivia about feeding the fish  (Read 876 times)

PaulKTF

• Southwood Neighbor
Trivia about feeding the fish
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »
An interesting bit of trivia...

Apparently Fred got a letter from a blind child asking if he would say out loud whenever he fed the fish because she (I think it was a girl- maybe I'm wrong) was worried that she would not know when he was doing it. He made it a point from then on to always say out loud when he was feeding the fish. I just thought that was cool.
-Paul.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Trivia about feeding the fish
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
I wonder in what episode that started.  Tim, do you know?

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:51:04 PM »
It seems to be somewhere in 1972 -- maybe around episode 1200.

I know it's been well documented that Mister Rogers intentionally said that he was feeding the fish -- in fact, this is addressed in Chapter 3 of "Dear Mister Rogers" ....

One girl and her family wrote to us to tell us there was a special reason why she wanted me to talk about feeding the fish every day.

Dear Mister Rogers,
Please say when you are feeding your fish, because I worry about them. I can't see if you are feeding them, so please say you are feeding them out loud." -- Katie, age 5
(Father's note: Katie is blind, and she does cry if you don't say that you have fed the fish.)

Since hearing from Katie, I've tried to remember to mention out loud those times that I'm feeding the fish. Over the years, I've learned so much from children and their families. I like to think that we've all grown together.

Whether or not this letter came around this time or not, I don't know. I do know that he feeds the fish on Episode 1196 without saying anything about it (he's singing Good Feeling at the time). Then on Episode 1201 he talks about feeding the fish as he does so. This continues over the next few episodes and presumably from that point on.

PaulKTF

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »
Wow! Thanks, Tim! :)
-Paul.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »
It's probably like the Good Feeling vs Tomorrow song, where Fred probably alternates back and forth between saying that he's feeding the fish and not saying it, depending on when the episode was shot.  It would be interesting to see exactly which episodes he says it and which ones he does not.