Author Topic: The First 3 Operas  (Read 1994 times)

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
The First 3 Operas
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:11:47 AM »
This board is a happenin' place tonite!

Time to think....

What were the stories of the first 3 operas? 

Babysitter Opera
Campsite Opera
Teddy Bear/Whaling Ship Opera

Because I absolutely have no idea.  And I've been a fan of Mister Rogers since 1982.

Mike

Wicked knife and fork

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: The First 3 Operas
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »
I think I read about these 3 operas (maybe on the wikipedia site?), and I was curious as well. The first one I remember is "Pineapples and Tomatoes." Maybe these 3 are from the black and white era, which would explain why I don't remember them being on PBS in the 1980's.

OperaLover

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »
The first opera I remember watching was All In The Laundry.
I never saw any of the b/w operas, though I hope they still exist somewhere!

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »
all I remember about the Babysitter Opera was singing a song as I was about to leave ? (the baby) with lyrics like: "I know it's hard to say goodbye to someone special....but I'll be back, yes, I'll be back..." 

the camping opera? (think it had another name) I was a photographer, and I sang "I am taking pic-tures.....pictures of the Rock (of the rolling rock) click, click, clicking pic-tures or rocks and ox and socks....

and in the whaling opera, with Bob Trow as a very funny I think whale, and the whole NOM as the ocean, Reardon sang: "what a big ocean, what a huge sea...what am I to do? couldn't you help me" is all I can remember. 

there are (or were) program archives at the University of Pittsburgh Information Sciences Library....call David Frank 412 624 4712, and see if he can look up program descriptions for the earliest operas. in these, we were permitted to be very improvisational (as Josey Carey had been)...but more and more as years went by, we had to stick to the script word by word, in every respect.

there was also a wonderful little play with Don Francks, who had been with Fred in the Canada program (wonderful performer) as Mr. Anybodys, called The Vet Gets The Pet In The Jet.

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »
forgot to say: if you do call the Information Sciences Library, and have no wish to use for commercial purposes, they may (for the price of CD, postage & labor) send you an episode you request.

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
all I remember about the Babysitter Opera was singing a song as I was about to leave ? (the baby) with lyrics like: "I know it's hard to say goodbye to someone special....but I'll be back, yes, I'll be back..." 

the camping opera? (think it had another name) I was a photographer, and I sang "I am taking pic-tures.....pictures of the Rock (of the rolling rock) click, click, clicking pic-tures or rocks and ox and socks....

and in the whaling opera, with Bob Trow as a very funny I think whale, and the whole NOM as the ocean, Reardon sang: "what a big ocean, what a huge sea...what am I to do? couldn't you help me" is all I can remember. 

there are (or were) program archives at the University of Pittsburgh Information Sciences Library....call David Frank 412 624 4712, and see if he can look up program descriptions for the earliest operas. in these, we were permitted to be very improvisational (as Josey Carey had been)...but more and more as years went by, we had to stick to the script word by word, in every respect.

there was also a wonderful little play with Don Francks, who had been with Fred in the Canada program (wonderful performer) as Mr. Anybodys, called The Vet Gets The Pet In The Jet.[/u]

Oh yes, the Butternut Squash play.  That's in my top 5 most wanted for Amazon.

ladyelainefairchilde

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »
forgot to say: if you do call the Information Sciences Library, and have no wish to use for commercial purposes, they may (for the price of CD, postage & labor) send you an episode you request.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:14:42 PM by ladyelainefairchilde »

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
Hey Mike,

TV.com has very brief, but still informative summaries:

Baby Sitter Opera: "Lady Aberlin hires a baby-sitter (Henrietta Pussycat) to look after her son (Donkey Hodie)...In the opera, a baby prince misses his mother who is going out. The baby prince objects, but mother goes anyway, leaving him with his grandfather and a babysitter. They play peek-a-boo."

Campsite Opera: "In the opera, Lady Elaine owns a campsite. Ben Franklin wants to rent a tent. Lady Aberlin, as the photographer, arrives with her covered wagon to spend the night at the castle campsite. The photographer and the hobbyhorse expressman meet and decide to marry. The covered wagon goes off with Ben Franklin. After the opera, Lady Elaine delays dismantling the campsite."

Whaling Ship/Teddy Bear Opera: "In the opera, the teddy bear is lost. His caretaker and the policeman look for him. His caretaker decides that the teddy bear has gone to sea. She asks the whaling captain if she can sail with him to look for the teddy bear. They sail to various ports looking for the bear. They sight a whale that gets away. Mrs. Franklin shows them her teddy bear and suggests they go to Scotland. They see the whale there who has been frightened by the Loch Ness Monster. Nessie says she is harmless and invites the whale to play while the piper pipes. The policeman sees the teddy bear at home holding a "found" sign. He had been under the couch taking a nap. The captain declares his love to the caretaker."

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
wonderful...thanks.  the plots are so delightfully non sequitor!

LadyElaine

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
They are showing 'The Babysitter Opera' right now on the Mister Rogers marathon on twitch.tv. SO excited! Watched a lot of MRN episodes on Amazon Prime recently and was annoyed that they didn't have all of the operas - I've never seen any of the early operas!

ManFromMars22

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 01:39:50 PM »
Yeah, it looks like the only pre-79 operas available from Amazon right now are "Key to Otherland" and "Potato Bugs and Cows." I'm looking forward to seeing "All in the Laundry" as part of the Twitch marathon.
"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows." - Michael Landon