Author Topic: The Froggs  (Read 705 times)

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
The Froggs
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:57:26 PM »
Any guesses why the Froggs were written out of the series within the first few color episodes?  And they were pretty much banished, except for a few later episodes.  I wonder what prompted Fred to get rid of those characters?

LadyElaine

• New to the Neighborhood
Re: The Froggs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »
Don't know. I often wondered that myself. I always preferred the Froggs to the Platypuses...

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
I wonder if it simply had to do with teaching kids about moving witch was probably why that happened.

Sort of too bad considering The Frog family wasn't seen much after that and never were seen in the post 79 shows.

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Has anyone been able to confirm who the voices of the family were? Tad was Fred Rogers in 1002 and 1004 (sounded like a Corney variation), but a different performer in 1975 (maybe Sam Senkow? Sounded a little like him based on his live-action appearance in 1340).

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 12:15:40 PM »
Hedda Sharapan provided the voice for Mrs. Frogg ... at least for a time.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »
Dr. Frogg was voiced by Hilary Bogden, who was friends with Bob Trow.  Mrs. Frogg was voiced by Hedda Sharapan, and Tadpole Frogg was voiced by Fred.

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:09:58 PM »
Betty Aberlin mentioned on the Twitch chat that they had trouble casting the Frogg's voices, with a few different people trying their hands at the characters (including David Newell) before they were moved out of the neighborhood to make room for the Platypus family. I only caught a few Mrs. Frogg appearances in the black & white series, but it sounds like she went through a few performers even in that year alone.

Speaking of unconfirmed voices, any idea who did the voices for Paul and Pauline Purple? Missed most of their appearances aside from the very first one.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 09:28:17 PM »
Betty Aberlin mentioned on the Twitch chat that they had trouble casting the Frogg's voices, with a few different people trying their hands at the characters (including David Newell) before they were moved out of the neighborhood to make room for the Platypus family. I only caught a few Mrs. Frogg appearances in the black & white series, but it sounds like she went through a few performers even in that year alone.

If you still talk to Betty you should try to get her to post here again.

What happened with Hilary Bogden and Hedda Sharapan voicing the Froggs?

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 04:40:55 AM »
I think they just did the Froggs for 1975 (aside from the one time they brought Mrs. Frogg back in 1988); I didn't catch any of Dr. Frogg's earlier appearances so I have no idea what his voice sounded like aside from Bogden's portrayal in 1402. I definitely think Newell did Mrs. Frogg at least once (some of her speech patterns sound like falsetto Mr. McFeely).

1459 just played on the stream and there's a credit for Frank Gardner; I'm assuming he's the voice of Adult Tad in the NOM crystal ball segment.

sriv94

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »
Any guesses why the Froggs were written out of the series within the first few color episodes?  And they were pretty much banished, except for a few later episodes.  I wonder what prompted Fred to get rid of those characters?
Maybe a way to get Bill Barker aboard?
Doug
---
All of the good signatures have been taken.

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
What do you mean?

sriv94

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 06:34:26 PM »
What do you mean?

Other than the one on-camera appearance playing the bagpipes, Bill Barker didn't have much involvement with the show prior to the Platypus family moving into the NOMB.  So I was thinking that the departure of the Froggs was the means by which Mr. Barker could become a full-time part of the show.

Simply a guess on my part.
Doug
---
All of the good signatures have been taken.

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
Ended up being able to see a few of the old Frogg episodes:

It's a woman's voice doing Mrs. Frogg in 0106 and 1001; I'll have to check the '75 shows and 1596 to confirm whether it's Hedda doing the voice here. It sounds like Newell doing the voice in 0100 and 0101.

Tad definitely sounds like Fred Rogers in his early appearances: he sounds like a cross between Henrietta/Daniel and Corney in 059, and more like a "cute kid" version of Corney in 0102, 0103, 1002 and 1004.

Not sure who's doing Dr. Frogg in 0100 and 0102 but it doesn't sound like Rogers or Hilary Bogden.