Author Topic: Epioodes streaming online  (Read 7091 times)

rogersfan1

• Southwood Neighbor
Epioodes streaming online
« on: May 12, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »
I just found that starting Monday May 15 they will be streaming rare episodes on twitch.tv, it says the number will be 886, so will that include the four weeks of 1034-1040, 1051-1060 and 1071-1075, although by my count the number of episodes from 1968-2001 should be 895.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/11/mister-rogers-neighborhood-marathon-of-886-episode/

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Epioodes streaming online
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »
It was confirmed that the Conflict episodes will be omitted.   That leaves four other episodes unaccounted for.

rogersfan1

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 05:41:50 PM »
I'm thinking perhaps the other four skipped episodes will be one of each from the four pre-79 banned weeks as hopefully that will be the case so we can get some definitive insight as to exactly which episode caused it to stop airing early if not when it last aired.

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
It was confirmed that the Conflict episodes will be omitted.   That leaves four other episodes unaccounted for.
Why is that?

There's actually several pre-79's on YT.

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 09:12:07 AM »
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2017/05/11/More-Mister-Rogers-Neighborhood-online/stories/201705110190

This article says that the Conflict week won't air, and that "some have been lost".   Since omitting Conflict brings the total down to 890, it can be surmised that there are four "lost" episodes, hence the episode count of 886.   I guess we'll see if these are truly lost episodes, or if they were purposely omitted for content or clearance reasons.

There's more discussion on the Archive Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/neighborhoodarchive/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:27:54 AM by mjb1124 »

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »
How were some episodes lost?

From what I've read on various websites they were all preserved and I suppose Rogers himself along with the FRC made sure they were.

So what happened?

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 03:20:38 PM »
Maybe some were deemed not to be in good enough quality to stream, or they had difficulty during the digitization process.   Or again, maybe they're not actually missing, but were banned due to content or clearance issues.   The suggestion that they may skip one episode from each of the "Banned" weeks makes sense, but we'll see what happens.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
This is interesting!  I've never heard of Twitch.  Is it something available to the general public?  Can all of us watch episodes if we want?  Are we allowed to download episodes to watch later (I'm guessing not).  Is this a free service or a pay service.

One thing that bothers me is that it mentions them streaming "consecutively".  Does that mean that we have to start with 1 and watch everything in order?  If so, it will take forever to get to later episodes, since none of us are going to have the time to watch the entire series.

Hopefully somebody can post which 4 episodes are missing.  I agree that it's likely 1 episode from each of the 4 banned weeks.  Or, another theory is that 2 of them could be 1468 and 1469, since they were not on Amazon.

I also wonder whether these will be original or edited versions?  Perhaps we can finally figure out what was edited from episodes such as 1101 and 1121.  And perhaps it can shed some light on the skip in the losing credits in 1066-1070 (does that happen in any other episodes)?

Even if we have to start from the beginning and watch them consecutively, that might at least help us find out more about how episodes such as 9 and 21 were edited or re-shot.

And what episodes aired any once?  Contrary to popular belief, Conflict aired every year from 1983 to 1996.  Maybe 1-5 aired only once, but wasn't that available on Amazon for some time now?  I'm fairly sure that all other episodes have at least 1 other confirmed airing, and all of 1001-1460 has the trolley closing version, implying that they all reaired.

I'm sure that not everything in those articles was accurate.  One of them said that Fred was 73 when he died, but we know he was actually 74.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:36:04 AM by mitsguy2001 »

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 11:03:06 PM »
I'm guessing the color shows will likely be the the edited versions, although my guess is that there isn't too much of a subtext behind the editing aside from technical issues (improving picture quality or transitions on close-ups of Picture Picture) and Costa using the opportunity to create some new music.

mjb1124

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 02:20:44 AM »
This is interesting!  I've never heard of Twitch.  Is it something available to the general public?  Can all of us watch episodes if we want?  Are we allowed to download episodes to watch later (I'm guessing not).  Is this a free service or a pay service.

It's free, you just have to sign up.  bjdwsm already posted the link.

I also wonder whether these will be original or edited versions?  Perhaps we can finally figure out what was edited from episodes such as 1101 and 1121.

I'm guessing it'll be the same prints Tim used for his recaps, meaning the 1969-75 episodes would be mostly the 1976 edits with a few original prints here and there.

And what episodes aired any once?  Contrary to popular belief, Conflict aired every year from 1983 to 1996.  Maybe 1-5 aired only once, but wasn't that available on Amazon for some time now?  I'm fairly sure that all other episodes have at least 1 other confirmed airing, and all of 1001-1460 has the trolley closing version, implying that they all reaired.

I'm sure that not everything in those articles was accurate.  One of them said that Fred was 73 when he died, but we know he was actually 74.

Yeah, I don't think that part is accurate either.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 08:11:06 AM »
I have a bad feeling that this won't let us choose specific episodes, but will start with Episode 1 at 3:00 today, and air the episodes continuously.  That means that it is almost impossible to watch a specific episode unless you tune it at the exact time it airs.  Since none of us have the time to watch every episode, and none of us are available 24/7, it seems that this will be mostly useless.  It also seems that it will be difficult to figure out what the 4 missing episodes are, unless somebody watches 24/7, which, again, I don't think any of us have the time to do.

Hopefully I am wrong.

In any case, I hope that people post comments on the episodes that they do watch, and if anybody figures out what the missing episodes are, I hope that they are posted.

wawbeast44

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »
My computer will be recording the entire stream, so we will get every episode that is lost. I have over 500gb saved up so im fine.

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 11:06:11 AM »
My computer will be recording the entire stream, so we will get every episode that is lost. I have over 500gb saved up so im fine.

How do you do that?  Is it legal?  Can you post which episodes are skipped, and maybe answer some of the questions that we've had about the episodes that air?  Thank you.

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »

That's a shame but at least we'll get to see most of the other episodes. I'll be happy to see what's airing when I check in and out of Twitch throughout the marathon.