Author Topic: Condition of pre 79 episodes.  (Read 334 times)

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
Condition of pre 79 episodes.
« on: May 10, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »
I was watching a YT video on Francois Clemmons and they showed the episode where he and Rogers but their feet in the pool and the very bottom of the screen was somewhat distorted.

I would think The FRC has made great effort to preserve these early episodes but now I wonder.

Incidentally  there are some pre-79's up on YouTube.

Quinn

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: Condition of pre 79 episodes.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
Keep in mind that the videotape from these early years is rather fragile. Great care has to be taken to spool it up to view, and I'm sure that they did the best they could for the digitization. I imagine that some of the intros have been cut off because the tape had deteriorated so badly, which happens a bit more towards the beginning and end of tapes.

I'm in broadcasting myself and I've been impressed at the quality of the material during the stream thus far. I thought the older stuff would have a lot more problems than I've seen.

ManFromMars22

• New to the Neighborhood
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:35:27 PM »
The black and white episodes seemed to be in great condition for almost 50 years old.
"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows." - Michael Landon

bjdwsm

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 01:39:10 AM »
I noticed there is sometimes a little bit of a distortion in the picture on the black and white episodes; it's more visible whenever the camera's doing a pan across the model or the set, but there's a patch that looks a little stretched out compared to the rest of the picture.

I agree a lot of these shows look great; 1970 especially seems to be an improvement on the 1969 shows, which seemed a little faded/worn in comparison despite the fact that those were taken out of rotation much sooner. There are individual exceptions, though: 1073 looked and sounded particularly rough compared to the rest of the shows that week. The audio was quieter than normal and had quite a bit of wow and flutter (really noticeable on the piano notes), and the picture was considerably softer/blurrier, with a horizontal tracking line at the bottom of the screen. It wouldn't have likely been visible on the old CRT sets, but the flat-screen shows a bit more information on the edges.