Author Topic: Watching the Neighborhood as an adult  (Read 327 times)

Antoinet999

• New to the Neighborhood
Watching the Neighborhood as an adult
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
Hello to everybody.

I was wondering how others in this community dealt with the fact of watching the show as an adult. I found modern films and tv so profoundly cynical and filled with constant irony and post-modern detached philosophies. Plus, the possibilities of entertainment are endless these days and everything is available easily. So why choose the neighborhood ?

Well, the calmness of the show, the tone of his voice, the gentleness of it all is very inspiring. I'm a father of 2 and Fred's way of being around people in general is extraordinary. I read a lot about him in the past months and saw that he was really this gentle outside of tv world.

Add to that the overall message of being interested in other people, genuine interest. Nothing is faked when he speaks.

I know that I'm maybe jumping into the whole Fred was a saint wagon. I don't know about that. But I know that I am 37. That watching episodes helps me as a parent and as a human being. It helps me being better, kinder and more interested.

How about you folks, why do you watch the show ?

MrRogers143

• Westwood Neighbor
Re: Watching the Neighborhood as an adult
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
I watch it as a way to escape the real world. With all the hate and cynical comments and jokes there are, it's nice to watch a program that can make you feel good, and know that real effort was put into it.
Steven Simmons
   [Trolley]
[bdbdbdbd]
    o      o

Antoinet999

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
I watch it as a way to escape the real world. With all the hate and cynical comments and jokes there are, it's nice to watch a program that can make you feel good, and know that real effort was put into it.

Thank you for responding. Oh how I wholeheartedly agree with you. Kind of an antidote to all the cynical things and violence all over us. I believe the gentleness on this show is capable to change even adults in real life.

MIKEBENNIDICT

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 06:47:09 PM »
I found myself watching Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street quite a bit past the target age.

A lot of these children shows can sometimes be interesting for older people.

There could be many reasons why though I can't explain why for Mr. Rogers.

DannyJoe

• Tree House Neighbor
    • Danny Joe's Tree House
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 10:29:09 PM »
I think Fred made  a point of talking to both children and parents at the same time. I love revisiting favorite episodes and picking up on those underlying messages. The gift was in how he could abstract a very complex topic based in reality so that it could be explored safely and objectively by the whole family. A beautiful dance between the conscience and subconscious or reality and make-believe. Honestly, I think the original program is like Shakespeare. There's always something new to learn from it. I watch every day. You are not alone. :)
Danny Joe