Author Topic: Did you know Fred personally?  (Read 3624 times)

David Mauldin

• Southwood Neighbor
Did you know Fred personally?
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
I never personally met Fred Rogers but I did correspond with him. The impression that stood out to me the most was his sincerity, he really believed in what he was doing. As a school teacher I have received a lot of inspiration and tools from him to do my job! So glad I found this website/Forum! Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:31:09 AM by TL »

earnhardtfan4life

• Make-Believe Neighbor
Re: Did you know Fred personally?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:11:14 PM »
I wish I had corresponded with him.  It wasn't until years later (after his death) that I found out that he accepted fan mail.  I was starting out in my college years about the time he died and never really gave it any thought.  Family Communications could have ended the program with an address on where to write fan mail to.  They probably thought they would get flooded with mail if they did it that way.  He did make an effort to answer every piece of mail to come through the door.

Did he answer any e-mails?  I know I have corresponded with Hedda Sherrepan before.  I have also corresponded with Betty Aberlin.

Mike

David Mauldin

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:15:53 AM »
I have my 3rd graders write to Mr. Speedy Delivery, (David Newel) They all get a personal letter and signed photograph in return.

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:30:50 AM »
Very cool David. How do they know who he is? I mean, do you guys watch the show in class?

I sent Fred one fan letter and was thrilled with the response- my only regret? That I sent it through email. So I have the email response, and I've printed it out, but man, it's sure not the same.

David Mauldin

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »
Yes, I showed vids that I recorded!

Jazzman67

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »
I corresponded with Mr Rogers over many years through letters and I also met him once outside the WBZ station in Boston in 1985. It was a very short moment,as he was on his way to the airport! I still remember that moment like it was yesterday.

The year after, I was able to give him an enlarged copy of the picture of us together. He had been in Boston with some of his Neighbors doing a children's concert. It was fun to listen to Johnny Costa live and Betty Aberlin was there, too.

I still have contact with some of the people who worked for Fred, as we have been friends for many years. I have always believed that Fred Rogers' work was a real gift, not only for children, but for the familes. I've come to learn a great deal about what Fred's work has done for many people, and on many different levels.

Andreas