Author Topic: No mention of units (minutes/dollars)?  (Read 3532 times)

alex_dh

• New to the Neighborhood
No mention of units (minutes/dollars)?
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:09:59 AM »
I haven't seen every episode or even every episode available on Amazon.  But my wife and I have noticed that they often don't mention dollars or minutes or hours.  I don't know if this was a rule that was always followed, but does anyone know why they did this?  I did a search and couldn't find it.  Examples are having a surplus of "3000" without saying dollars in the Work week.  Or someone remarking "I'll be back in 3."  3 minutes or hours or days?  It certainly seems deliberate, and I have a few theories, but I thought someone must know for sure. 

Alex

alex_dh

Re: No mention of units (minutes/dollars)?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »
Another example:  Watching the 1973 Love episode on Amazon.  Lady Aberlin says "can I see Queen Sara in the garden in a half?" 

Alex

mitsguy2001

• Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Maybe in make-believe they don't use units?  I guess it would make sense for them to use neither English nor Metric units, and to not use dollars.  And even though seconds, minutes, and hours are used worldwide, I think that time is supposed to stand still in make-believe?  I agree that none of this makes sense, so I am giving an explanation of that practice, not an agreement.

In the real neighborhood, I think units were used.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:09 PM »
Although units were used in the real neighborhood on occasion, they typically were not used ... at least where money is concerned. For example, Mister Rogers might go to Brockett's Bakery and pay a monetary price for a loaf of bread. On the other hand, Mr. McFeely often made deliveries and charged Mister Rogers "five" or "three" for the delivery.

Trolleyfan

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 11:30:34 PM »
it stops you from running in to border made problems, as well as I've heard some tied to the neighborhood units of time don't exist the same way in make-believe. as you'll notice one of biggest landmarks (and I was surprised to find out the first) is a clock with no hands 

visigoth

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 10:22:44 PM »
I never figured out why they did this, but now that it is mentioned I remember it.