Author Topic: Conflict episodes  (Read 4539 times)

favabean1982

• New to the Neighborhood
Conflict episodes
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:19 PM »
Hey everyone, first time on the board.  I already performed a search on the board but can't seem to find what I'm looking for (unless I missed it).  Does anyone know where I might be able to find the Conflict episodes?  I'm well aware of how they were pulled from reruns and all the controversy, however I really enjoyed the toy banks, the trip to the Mint and the marble-making segments from that week as a kid. 
Despite the controversy, I still hoped Amazon Prime might have them, but alas they did not.  I was subsequently directed to this specific message board, therefore does anyone know of anyone who might have them?
On a side note, I also noticed Amazon Prime didn't have the episodes with the visits to the set of The Incredible Hulk, unless I missed them.  I believe I've seen snippets of these on YouTube, but not the whole thing including the part where he shows the neighborhood model at the end of one of the episodes.  Again, any ideas where these might be?
Thanks!

eros97

• New to the Neighborhood
Re: Conflict episodes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
Why they don't want to air these episodes? Bad memories or what?

JAO93

• Southwood Neighbor
Re: Conflict episodes
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:57:36 PM »
The topics of war, bombs, and other Cold War era themes probably came off as both potentially upsetting and slightly dated. In today's world where children are upset by things as trivial as video games and cell phones, the idea of their own lives possibly being ended in a burning radioactive flash (or lingering poisoning from fallout) would scar them permanently - even if the Cold War has been over for some time and the threat of nuclear bombing is lesser.
The Cold War itself is rife in controversy and mystique - you never hear about it as much as (for example) World War 2 or the Revolutionary War. I could go on and on about the Cold War and its legacy, but we'll find ourselves off topic in no time. Mr. Roger's final line in the episode is particularly unnerving given the current state of the world:

"Rules are very, very important. Not just for games, but for all things. Even big things like countries. Countries have to have rules to protect people, too. And someday you'll be helping to make the rules for your country. I trust that you'll make the best kind you know how."

Personally I'd be up to making them available as a download or DVD, even if they never air on TV again. I'm quite certain I saw the final airing when I was just a few years old - I believe it was a mistake for the FRC and/or PBS to "ban" them.